Saturday 11 November 2006

Day 3

Saturday 8th November
Stormy

Evans made a valiant pilgrimage to the breakfast room to inquire if any of us had seen his teddy. He looked to be on the verge of another bout at the sight and smell of all the food, but he managed to get it out. What do you think I told him, dear Diary? That I'd pilfered it the previous night? Come now, you don't know me very well if that's what you think. I suggested he look for it in the ship's laundry, as it might have been taken there by accident with the bed linen. Evil, you say, sending him on another trek in his condition? Pretty much, especially when you consider that to get to the laundry you have to walk right past the galley.

Captain feeling a little better today. Got out of bed to take the wheel for an hour or so in the mid afternoon. We're currently sailing down the coast of the Iberian Peninsula but you can't really make it out in this weather. Anyway, that's what Parker said when the captain let him have a go at driving and he hit Spain. The captain decided he wasn't quite better at that point and whispered in my ear on his way out that I was the only one allowed to drive while he was incapacitated. Apart from the regular sailors, of course. They've been taking their turns at the wheel too although they seem happy to let me do the job for a surprisingly large part of the time. Meanwhile they've been keeping Parker and Williams company, for which I am rather gratefull, as it stops them deciding they want to drive again. Have I told you what Parker's like when he gets an idea into his head, Diary? Oh, and 'Stinky' Johnson.

No comments: